At Frantz EyeCare, we pride ourselves in offering our patients a complete selection of vision correction procedures that can be customized to their unique needs, providing the best possible outcomes. That’s why Frantz Eye is excited to offer the Visian ® ICL™ (Implantable Collamer® Lens) at our center, an advanced vision correction option for our patients that is growing in popularity. To date, more than 500,000 Visian ICLs have been implanted in patients worldwide. The Visian ICL is a lens made of Collamer implanted in the eye to correct moderate to severe nearsightedness.
Elite athletes, celebrities, and military personnel have chosen the Visian ICL™.
In fact, more than 98% of military personnel that have opted for the Visian ICL are seeing 20/20 or better.
The Visian ICL (Implantable Collamer Lens) is made of an advanced soft-material lens, composed of 100% biocompatible collagen copolymer, that provides not only UV protection and permanent vision correction, but also a quality of vision that is sharp, clear, and vivid. Additionally, the Visian ICL is removable if necessary and the procedure does not permanently alter the shape of your cornea.
VISIAN ICL FAQs
What is Visian ICL?
The Visian ICL (Implantable Collamer Lens) is made of an advanced soft-material lens, composed of 100% biocompatible collagen copolymer, that provides not only UV protection and permanent vision correction, but also a quality of vision that is sharp, clear, and vivid. Additionally, the Visian ICL procedure does not permanently alter the shape of your cornea. There is no maintenance associated with the lens, and it is intended to remain in place as long as you are satisfied with your vision. If at any point your vision changes or you wish to have them removed, it can be done easily and because your cornea is in its natural state, you are able to pursue other vision correction options.
What are the advantages of the Visian ICL?
If you are between the ages of 21 and 45 and suffer from a moderate to severe degree of nearsightedness, then you may be a candidate for this great procedure and the advantages it provides. These include:
- Immediate vision improvement at all distances – eliminating the need for glasses or contacts
- Sharp, Clear Vision: You can enjoy a new level of vision correction that’s sharp, clear, vivid, and has great depth and dimension.
- Designed to be Permanent, Yet Is Removable: One of the compelling advantages of the Visian ICL is that while it can permanently correct your vision, the lens can be simply removed and/or replaced if necessary. Also, concerns involving the cornea typically do not apply to the Visian ICL, as no natural corneal tissue is permanently removed or reshaped in during implantation.
- Does Not Cause Dry Eye Syndrome: Visian ICL does not cause or contribute to dry eyes. If you have dry eyes, ask your doctor if the Visian ICL may be the best vision correction option for you.
- Short Recovery Time: The recovery for the Visian ICL is quick and pain-free, and may be as little as one day due to the very small size of the opening required. Patients typically experience minimal discomfort, and many times go back to work the next day.
- UV Protection: Long-term exposure to UV radiation can damage your eyes, and long-term or more intense exposure increases the chance of eye disorders including the development of cataracts and some retinal problems. As an added feature, the Visian ICL advanced lens material contains a UV blocker that actually prevents harmful UVA and UVB rays from entering the eye, possibly preventing the development of UV related eye disorders.
- Treatment Flexibility for the Future: Your vision changes as you grow older and eventually almost everyone will need cataract surgery. An important benefit with the Visian ICL is that you have options for future treatments. Because Visian ICL maintains the structure of the eye, the measurements required for new procedures are often much easier to identify and can increase the likelihood of positive outcomes.
- Simplification of Life: There is no daily maintenance as with traditional contact lenses, and no concern of problems from daily activities such as swimming and sports.
- LASIK Alternative: Patients who have corneas too thin or prescriptions too high for LASIK can still have a fantastic option for lasting vision correction.
How is the procedure performed?
The Visian ICL procedure is an outpatient procedure that generally takes around 15 minutes. Prior to the procedure, you will receive topical anesthesia drops to minimize discomfort. Then the doctor creates a very small opening to insert the lens into the eye with an injector. Once the lens is injected, it unfolds in the eye and the procedure is complete. Patients usually experience an immediate improvement in vision and are “wowed” by the results. The Visian ICL procedure is an outpatient procedure that generally takes around 15 minutes.
Who is a candidate for Visian ICL?
If you are between the ages of 21 and 45 and nearsighted, you may be an excellent candidate for the Visian ICL. This procedure is able to treat a range of patients from low to extremely high refractive errors and is especially beneficially to those with thin corneas and dry eyes. It is preferable that the patient has not undergone any ophthalmic surgery and does not have a history of eye disease such as iritis, glaucoma, or diabetic retinopathy. If you are between the ages of 21 and 45 and nearsighted, you may be an excellent candidate for the Visian ICL.
Can the Visian ICL be removed from my eye?
Although the lens is intended to remain in place permanently, a surgeon can remove the implant if necessary. Is the Visian ICL visible to others? No. The Visian ICL is positioned behind the iris (the colored part of the eye), where it is invisible to both you and observers.
Feel free to contact us at Frantz Eye Care with any questions that you may have, or to schedule an eye exam to find out if the Visian ICL or an alternative vision correction procedure is right for you!