JONATHAN M. FRANTZ, MD, FACS
Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Two-Year Fellowship-Trained Refractive Surgeon
Cataract & Refractive Specialist
Cataract Surgery in Fort Myers
Dr. Frantz established Florida Eye Health in 1994. The practice name was changed to Frantz EyeCare in late 2012. Jonathan M. Frantz, M.D. combines his extensive experience, dedication, and impressive educational background with the latest technical advances in the field of laser vision correction and cataract surgery in Fort Myers. He is ranked the #1 Bladeless Laser Cataract Surgeon in Florida* and is One of the Country’s Top 5 Bladeless Laser Cataract Surgeons**. If you are looking to receive the best cataract surgery the Fort Myers area has to offer, schedule an appointment with Dr. Frantz today.
- Vanderbilt University
Magna cum laude
- University of Miami Medical School
- Louisiana State University Eye Center
- Ophthalmology Residency
- Fellowship in Cornea, External Diseases, and Refractive Surgery
License: State of Florida
- Diplomate, American Board of Ophthalmology
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Fellow, American College of Eye Surgeons
Awards & Honors:
- National Research Service Award
- National Eye Institute
- Post-Doctoral Research Award
- Southern Medical Association
- Principal Investigator, VISX Excimer Laser
- Principal Investigator, Autonomous Technology Excimer Laser
- Named in The Guide to America’s Top Ophthalmologists
- Selected as one of The Best Doctors in America
- Voted The Best Cataract Surgeon in SWFL by the News-Press
A Pioneer of Cataract Surgery
- Dr. Frantz has earned wide acclaim for pioneering techniques in the successful treatment of cataracts, including the sutureless cataract method.
- Opened Suncoast Surgery Center in May 2000, a state-of-the-art ambulatory surgery center committed to the highest standards in quality, performance and care.
- Performed the area’s first ReSTOR lens implant.
- First to bring Bladeless Laser Cataract Surgery to Southwest Florida in 2012.
A Pioneer of Laser Technology
- Served as assistant surgeon in the first Excimer Laser surgery of a sighted person in the United States
- Selected as one of only a few surgeons at one of six sites in the nation to test the Excimer Laser during the investigational phase
- Served as Principal Investigator for the FDA clinical trials evaluating the VISX Excimer Laser for treatment of low, moderate and high myopia, and astigmatism
- Served as Principal Investigator for the FDA clinical trials evaluating the Autonomous Technology Excimer Laser for the treatment of nearsightedness and astigmatism
- Performed the first Excimer Laser procedure in Florida for nearsightedness and astigmatism
- Performed the first Excimer Laser procedure in Lee County following FDA approval of the Excimer Laser
- Performed the first Excimer Laser T-PRK procedure to correct farsightedness in the United States
- Received the National Research Service Award from the National Eye Institute for Excimer Laser research
- Author of numerous papers on Laser Vision Correction in scientific journals including Ophthalmology, Archives of Ophthalmology and Journal of Refractive Surgery
- Selected one of the top VISX Star refractive surgeons in the Country
- Opened The Center for Laser Vision Correction in May 2000 with on-site VISX Star lasers in Fort Myers and Naples
- Offered first on-site VISX Star laser in Naples
- First in the area to offer CustomVue VISX Star S4 WaveScan System, Iris Registration Technology, and 100% blade-free iLASIK.
- First in the area to offer Bladeless WaveLight Refractive Suite.
*2018 Volume Reports by AHCA
**Alcon Surgical Laser Usage Data 2017
Cataract Surgery in Fort Myers
Dr. Jonathan Frantz is the most experienced cataract surgeon in the Fort Myers and surrounding Florida areas. He is the first to offer bladeless laser cataract surgery and continues to strive in the advancements when it comes to cataract surgery in Fort Myers. Learn more about cataract surgery while visiting our website. We offer you a wide variety of information that includes a complete overview of cataract surgery, information on laser cataract surgery, cataract self-tests, and much more!